The Schultis Iron Works were originally located at 2399 8th Ave. (between 128th and 129th Sts.), when Herman Schultis (1857-?) lived at 274 W. 128th St. (just around the corner from 8th Ave.). This was in the mid 1890s. Schultis was a native of Baden, Germany, who arrived in the U. S. October, 1880, and who became a naturalized citizen 18 Oct. 1886. His name is recorded in the U. S. census of 1900 when he lived on 128th St. with his wife, Wilhelmina, and three daughters, Louise, 17, Minnie, 15, and Emily, 6. Also living with him at this time was his father-in-law, George Banga.
Herman Schultis can also be found in the U. S. census reports of 1910 (277 W. 134th St.), 1920 (307 W. 133rd St.), and 1930 (1661 68th St., Brooklyn).
In the 1910s the foundry moved from 8th Ave. to 310 W. 133rd St. This location was only a few blocks further uptown, just west of 8th Ave. and nearer St. Nicholas Park and the cliffs of Morningside Heights. Schultis Iron Works were at this location from approximately 1910 to 1990 (80 years!).
A recent (March 2011) visit to the Schultis coal chute cover found it in good shape but wet (on a rainy day) and littered with twigs and such (click for image).
Another Schultis coal chute cover is found at 503 Manhattan Ave., just south of 121st St.
Copyright (c) 2009 Walter Grutchfield